Thursday, January 11, 2007

It's something personal.

Kevin Max, the "eccentric" man behind the music of dc talk. (Don't be surprised if I talk about dc talk on more than one occasion. Old friends will never be surprised anyway.) So anyway, the start of my story begins a few months ago when I was with my best friend Sarah at her church's youth group one Wednesday night. At some point when we were all visiting with each other, I found a magazine on the magazine table that included an article about Kevin Max's latest project. Nearby was a girl whom I had met and spoken with more than once before. We had briefly spoken about another musical artist whom we both liked. I asked her if she liked Kevin Max. Her response was, "I don't listen to his music. He has a beautiful voice, but...I don't like him." She might not have said that she didn't like him, but she said something like that. My response was, "Oh, why (don't you like him)?" She wouldn't tell me and responded with something about "personal reasons" for not liking him. So I thought that maybe she was crazy and wouldn't like him just because he divorced his wife a few years ago. No, that wasn't it. "Oh, I didn't even know that." And she wouldn't tell me. Well, my best friend Sarah was there throughout the whole conversation, and her and I still ponder about this subject all of the time. What was it about Kevin Max that prompted her to not like him so much? I tell Sarah to ask the girl why she doesn't like Kevin Max all of the time before she goes to church on Wednesday nights. She hasn't asked her yet, but I am determined to find out the reason why. What on earth could it be that she wouldn't even tell me? Sarah and I talk about this almost every week. We thoroughly enjoy ourselves when we talk about it because we find it so ridiculous. We joke around and talk about wearing Kevin Max t-shirts or other KMax apparel to the Wednesday night meeting so that the girl will see us. So I occasionally try and think of personal or moral reasons that she wouldn't like Kevin Max...
* He divorced his wife (let's all have a cow and not listen to his music!)
* I think he had a baby out of wedlock because the time difference between the wedding with his new wife and the birth of his baby was something like six months (I can't even remember where I read that information. Oh yeah, Wikipedia.).
* Under the smoke/drink question on his MySpace, KMax has his answers marked as Yes/Yes (let's all have a cow and not listen to his music!)
* He has like, these huge tattoos on both of his arms. I was not aware of them until just a few days ago when I was browsing his website, which is something I rarely ever do. On one of his pictures, his tattoos were quite obvious. I'd put the picture on here, but my internet connection is too slow and stupid.

Probably none of these happen to be the reason why she doesn't like Kevin Max, but what she said still bothers me. I just can't figure out what it is. If it has nothing to do with his music, then what could it be? Sure, I disapprove of the morals of a lot of mainstream artists even if I like their music, but I still wouldn't go all crazy just because they do some things that I don't like. I don't judge people, and I especially try not to think badly of people I don't even know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Max and http://www.kevinmaxmusic.com for background information and other stuff.
Album review coming soon. Don't get too crazy when you're listening to Kevin Max!

1 comment:

Emily said...

hey hey^^

I am a big fan of Kevin Max, i think he's way cool and I absolutely love dcTalk as well. I don't know what your friends specific reasons are, but whatever they are, they just might have merit. KMax has often been called "the black sheep" of Christian music. I don't know - I think he's a brilliant artist who's just got a bit distracted by his own eccentricity. Okay, that makes no sense.

But I've read up a lot about him. He's definitely a bit off...and in my opinion, not in a good way. But no reason to hate him completely or anything. He's someone I would love to have a conversation with...just to see how he thinks. In my opinion he focuses more on like...Bowie, John Lennon and Elvis instead of other things that probably could use more attention =P

He's an interesting specimen though, and his voice is gold.