Thursday, June 1, 2006

A Band Named Anberlin

Anberlin? What kind of band name is that? My thoughts exactly. While discussing favorite bands in an on-line message board, the name Anberlin kept popping up.
"Oh, Anberlin is the best!"
"It's all about Anberlin!"
"Anberlin, Anberlin, Anberlin!"
So I'm thinking, "What's so great about Anberlin?" Everyone was so pumped up about the band, so I decided that I would check out their music. I buy CDs on-line through the BMG music service and on my most recent purchase I ordered a copy of Anberlin's Never Take Friendship Personal, their second full-length studio album (BMG doesn't carry their first album). I had read from the message boards that their song "Paperthin Hymn" was excellent, so I was kind of expecting that song to be the best on the album. It's not. To me anyway. I immediately found "Stationary Stationery" very catchy, and after a couple of listens took a liking to the title track, "Never Take Friendship Personal." Anberlin released "Paperthin Hymn" and "A Day Late" as singles, but I think almost any of the songs would have made great singles.
So what does this group sound like? They sound a lot like any other rock band, except they're actually good. All of the guitar parts are completely irrestible to me. They blast out at you on the title track. Anberlin has traces of a punk sound, but they're more like a band that just wants to rock and is extremely good at it. The band sounds full, like they really know how to play their instruments (it's hard to believe isn't it?).
I think that Anberlin is one of the best bands that I don't hear people talking about (unless of course you read the message board that I was reading). I'm sure you're itching to hear their music ... get ready to be blown away! Visit http://www.purevolume.com/anberlin. The first four songs listed are from Never Take Friendship Personal. It took me a few listens before I really liked these songs, so don't give up after only one listen.
The album opens with the title track which hits you hard, as I said before. The lead singer screams on a few words in this song, which I didn't particularly care for at first. Now I think those vocals add to the song. There is no screaming in any form throughout the rest of this record, so no worries if you're a person who doesn't like screaming in songs. I really am not able to describe in words how brilliantly the band plays from one song to the next, so go to the purevolume site I mentioned above, honestly listen to their music, and buy their album if you fancy their sound! Never Take Friendship Personal is very well produced (Aaron Sprinkle is their producer, who also has produced records for other artists I like from the Tooth & Nail label.). For more details about the band and music, visit http://www.anberlin.com/anberlin_band.htm and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anberlin. Good lyrics + great music = Anberlin.

No comments: